Think outside the box - Re: Want to be on the IESG?

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 01:44:52PM +0000, Salz, Rich wrote:
>     >>> If we keep
>     >>> asking people who don't have a problem with the way things
>     >>> are now to change the way things are now, that seems
>     >>> counterintuitive.
>
> Baloney. Never heard of "thinking outside the box"?

Let me give just two examples:

manycouches had many couch potatoes arguing for many many years to
have at least one virtual-only IETF per year, even if just as an
experiment. I do not remember a single AD thinking outside of a box
to push for such an experiment. It took covid.

A good amount of work, especially design teams became a lot more
open in reaction to USA EAR politics.

I really don't see on process wise a lot of proactive outside of the
box thinking in IETF leadership. I just see IETF being pushed around
by the box moving. Seemingly as in the examples above often for the better,
even if the reasons are not good.

Cheers
    Toerless