Re: What is "The Internet community" ? Re: Want to be on the IESG?

Thanks Keith, inline

On Thu, Oct 07, 2021 at 04:38:00PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
> On 10/7/21 4:20 PM, Toerless Eckert wrote:
>
> > Ron/*:
> >
> > Which RFC defines "the common good of the Internet community" ?
> >
> > Q: Are private/limited-domain networks part of the "Internet community" even if those networks have
> > no connectivity whatsoever to "The Internet" ?
>
> Based on my experience, I'm starting to doubt that such networks exist for
> very long.   And for some purposes (e.g. analyzing security threats) it
> seems better to presume that they do not exist.   Everything is connected
> sooner or later.

Even if some connection exists, it does not make the networks interest and
requirements the same as that of the Internet. The fully isolated case
is just a simple to understand example.

> But rather than try to decide this question, I suggest that the "Internet
> community" includes any device that speaks Internet Protocol, and any users
> of such devices.

"Internet Protocol Community" ?

as i said, i would like to be able to distinguish. I think (see other email
from me) that the "Internet Community" by itself is extremely important
and its useful not to conflate the two.

>  In other words, in making protocol design choices, IETF
> should consider the entire IP ecosystem, not merely full-time connected
> devices and networks, but also isolated "private" networks, networks with
> private interconnection to other networks (whether or not those other
> networks are connected to the public network), intermittently-connected
> networks, nomadic networks, etc.

Agreed.

> (e.g. in the IIoT world it seems to be common to assume that IP-capable
> devices will only be connected to isolated or secure networks, an assumption
> which is arguably delusional. )

Well. i have worked with quite a few of those isolated networks.
Are there likely transport or higher layer transits into the Internet even
if only as exploits ? Absolutely, and thats always a fun security issue to discuss,
but its irrelevant to the point i was making:

My point here was to distinguish the fact that the "Internet Protocol Community" is more
broader and diverse in its constituents, requirments and constraints than the "Internet Community",
which is only a key member.

Cheers
    Toerless

--