From: Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 7, 2021 2:53 PM
To: Christian Huitema <huitema@xxxxxxxxxxx>; Ron Bonica <rbonica@xxxxxxxxxxx>; Stewart Bryant <stewart.bryant@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ietf@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Want to be on the IESG?

[External Email. Be cautious of content]

On 10/7/21 1:56 PM, Christian Huitema wrote:

> Ron, I am not sure that I agree with you or Stewart here. We are
> discussing the lack of candidates for leadership positions. If I look
> at the roster of the IAB and IESG, I find plenty of members working
> for those large companies that develop Internet technologies, and that
> tells me that we are not exactly suffering from lack of participation
> from big companies. In fact, if we loaded committees with even more
> participation of these big companies, the complaint would not be that
> they "do not invest" -- most probably, we would hear the opposite
> complaint, that they invest too much.

The question is, are those Big Companies "investing" or are they "exploiting"?  Or some of each?

Even though I think that's the question, I suspect we can't really answer that question definitively here, or maybe anywhere.

But I'd love to see more I* candidates who are NOT from Big Companies.
IETF needs more diversity in its leadership.

Keith