Re: Proposal: an "important-news" IETF announcement list

--On Wednesday, September 29, 2021 20:44 -0400 Keith Moore
<moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As a thought experiment, I could imagine an announce-AREA list
> where there is one such list for every area that would see
> Last Calls, new proposed groups, group charter messages, etc.
> Similarly, a announce-WG list for each WG, so that people
> could watch for LC announcements and meeting announcements
> from any particular WG.   Or, as I and others have
> suggested, let each user choose exactly which kinds of
> announcements they wish to get email about.

Keith,

As I think I indicated in an earlier note, announce-AREA would
be a really good idea if it were not for the fact that the
binding of WGs to Areas is sometimes a bit arbitrary.   Perhaps
the most obvious example for the two of us is whether a
specification or WG looking at email security belongs in ART or
in SEC.  The answer is probably "yes", but specifications like
that are the ones that are most important to be carefully
reviewed in LC by people whose primary interests lie in the Area
to which the work was not assigned.

best,
  john