Re: Proposal: an "important-news" IETF announcement list

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 29, 2021, at 9:31 PM, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> --On Wednesday, September 29, 2021 20:44 -0400 Keith Moore
> <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> As a thought experiment, I could imagine an announce-AREA list
>> where there is one such list for every area that would see
>> Last Calls, new proposed groups, group charter messages, etc.
>> Similarly, a announce-WG list for each WG, so that people
>> could watch for LC announcements and meeting announcements
>> from any particular WG.   Or, as I and others have
>> suggested, let each user choose exactly which kinds of
>> announcements they wish to get email about.
>
> Keith,
>
> As I think I indicated in an earlier note, announce-AREA would
> be a really good idea if it were not for the fact that the
> binding of WGs to Areas is sometimes a bit arbitrary.

Agree, of course.  Area-specific announce lists would work well for some, but not all, perhaps not most, use cases.

A few minutes ago I was thinking that while it’s really easy to improve over what we’re currently doing, it’s probably difficult to make everybody, or even most participants, happy.

Keith