Re: Proposal: an "important-news" IETF announcement list

IESG,

I agree with Brian.

However, his note suddenly brought something I've been thinking
about on and off into focus.  While it would be really
unfortunate to have it turned into a rule we tried to enforce in
any way, perhaps we should be thinking less in terms of
"participation in the IETF is free and carries no obligations
other than being nice".  Instead, we should be thinking more
along the lines of "there is a price to participate in the
IETF... and it is participating in the IETF".  We talk about
ourselves as a community and claimed for decades that one of our
strengths relative to other standard development organizations
was that our participants were concerned about a better
Internet, not just agreeing on specifications for a largely
disconnected series of products.

There will certainly be times when having experts working on
particular topics and ignoring just about everything else is
necessary and appropriate, but maybe we should be focused more
on a healthy and developing Internet, and on an IETF with broad
participation, rather than on ways to making it easier to ignore
Last Calls and community discussions.

Bron is right and I'm not suggesting anything like having to be
educated and engaged on "every piece of work in the firehouse"
(I don't think Brian was either).  But a more general sense of
what is going on, including the realization that assignment of
particular work to Areas is sometimes arbitrary, can be useful.
(Examples omitted to save space.)

I think the IETF would benefit if the IESG, when considering
fragmenting mailing lists so that people get only those messages
they really, really, want or taking other actions that make it
easier to not participate except on very narrow work areas,
would more obviously consider the costs to the community of
doing so.   Even if the decisions don't come out differently, I
think more obvious attention to those costs would be beneficial.

best,
   john

--On Saturday, September 25, 2021 14:56 +1200 Brian E Carpenter