Re: [irsg] [Tools-discuss] Content at notes.ietf.org is not archival

Robert,

(Still copying ietf@ because I think these issues are important
to the whole community, not just those with the time and energy
to track tools-discuss)

I don't know the notes facility well enough to ask this question
precisely --I qualify as one of those who had barely heard of it
before these threads started -- but it seems to me that you've
made a strong case for per-thread timeouts/ delete limits.  Some
things (like minutes) should disappear quickly for reasons
others have given; others (like design team efforts) may need
"after inactivity" or other much longer timeouts.   So it sounds
as if any feature requests should allow for per-thread/
per-activity timeouts, not just a global setting or that we
should start distinguishing, RSN, among different types of notes.

FWIW, I note that, while I-Ds supposedly expire after six
months, things have evolved to the point that we still say that
but old ones are essentially treated as archival with no special
effort need to get to them.   That is an extreme example of the
bottom of the slippery slope I think others have been concerned
about.

best,
  john

--On Friday, September 17, 2021 08:28 -0500 Robert Sparks