Re: [Tools-discuss] Content at notes.ietf.org is not archival

On 9/16/2021 12:22 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:
Carsten Bormann <cabo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
     >> On 16. Sep 2021, at 09:46, Mark Nottingham <mnot@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
     >>
     >> Or, just automatically delete notes 30 days after creation.

     > (Again, I don’t know whether this was a serious proposal.  I’ll treat
     > is as such for the purpose of this message.)

Well, I'm serious.
I think 30 days might be way too long.

WG and design team leaders should know to download minutes at the end of the
session.  It's not hard.
But, in order to train that, the contents needs to disappear within the day,
and there will be some crying.   Some WG session minutes will go away.

     > Collecting notes in our own service (as opposed to hackmd.io or Google
     > docs) gives us more control.  Another benefit of having a common
     > service is that, after a while, everybody knows how to use it and we
     > can integrate it into other tools.

Agreed.

The IETF already archives mail messages and Internet drafts. How hard would it be to archive notes and minutes? After all, this texts are part of the standard making process, covered by the Note Well, etc.

-- Christian Huitema