Re: List of volunteers for the 2021-2022 NomCom

On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 8:12 PM Michael StJohns <mstjohns@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/27/2021 8:00 PM, Mary B wrote:
[MB] Per the process, I don't think that it allows more than *2*  from a single company.  So, I think the problem isn't as bad as some perceive.  Personally, I see the bigger problem as the fact that *many* that were qualified didn't volunteer.  [/MB]

The problem (IMNSHO) is that, statistically, if you (company) have a large enough proportion of the pool, you have a pretty much guaranteed probability of having 2 members.   If you have 2 members for every nomcom, you can have a disproportionate impact in the overall composition of the leadership of the IETF over time.

FWIR, Huawei has had 2 Nomcom members for most of the last 5-8 Nomcoms.  Cisco, Ericsson and Juniper have also had substantial representation.

That may represent personal diversity, but it does not represent commercial diversity.

[MB]  So, yeah, this is not a new problem and is reflective of the fact that folks from some companies have more support for their IETF work than others. So, perhaps, we reduce it to 1 from a single company. But, again, that's not a process change we can push through in time for this Nomcom.  The bigger problem in my view is still the fact that a lot of folks that might be qualified haven't volunteered.   [/MB]

Later, Mike