Re: List of volunteers for the 2021-2022 NomCom

On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 6:07 PM Michael StJohns <mstjohns@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/27/2021 5:25 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:
> Joel M. Halpern <jmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>      > While I agree we probably have the time to reopen it, we can't just
>      > decide to do so.  We can't simply change the procedures because we want
>      > to (particularly note when "we" is some vocal subset of the community.)
>
> I agree.

I actually disagree.  This is about setting the pool.  Unlike things
like deciding to re-select the members or suggesting that if a Huawei
member is ineligible, then the appropriate replacement is another Huawei
member, (see many discussions in prior years), increasing the pool
*might* decrease Huawei/Futurewei's opportunity to get members, but the
probabilities of that are pretty small.

Right now, 6 companies own 67/112 of the pool and will probably get
about 4-6 members.  The pool (112) is smaller than I remember in any of
the last 5-10 years (anecdotal rather than actually checking the data).
It would be good to try and increase the pool back to previous levels
near 160+.

[MB] Per the process, I don't think that it allows more than *2*  from a single company.  So, I think the problem isn't as bad as some perceive.  Personally, I see the bigger problem as the fact that *many* that were qualified didn't volunteer.  [/MB]

>      > Look folks, I am not happy with the lack of diversity.  But the
>      > solution to that was to get folks to volunteer.  I didn't push as hard
>      > as I should have. Probably because I do not htink chair pushing helps
>      > much. But I did forward the announcement to remind folks.  To all three
>      > of my working groups.  I doubt it mattered.
>
> I think that the best way to "push" is where it goes through company internal email
> from the CTO or whomever pays for IETF attendance.
>
> I wonder if some people volunteer, hoping that it will mean that they'll
> "have" to travel to IETF.

That may be the case.  Which may explain the size of the pool.

Mike