RE: New-comers (was Re: the old fellowship program)

You can't eliminate bad behavior by making more rules. By the time you get
to reportable problems (be it smearing or down-throat-jumping) things have
gotten way over the line.

What I remember from the HTTP-WG (which had lots of newcomers) was to set up
discussion with a short presentation on an issue, and to call on people with
hands up sweeping the room from left to right. No mike hogging, ask everyone
to start with their name and affiliation.
(I suppose in a virtual meeting you could let people speak in alphabetical
order.) Make sure questions or issues are understood  and answered.

Some amount of reinforcement that newcomer's misunderstandings are often
failings of the work documents to adequately explain their design.