Re: New-comers

On 16/04/2021 22:14, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
On 17-Apr-21 05:43, Ole Jacobsen wrote:
I think this discussion has assumed that all newcomers are
necessarily looking to get directly involved with a working group
from Day One and therefore need to do a lot of homework and
preparation. I know we keep telling the world that the IETF is "not
a conference" and that "people come here to work," but I see no harm
in simply exploring what the IETF is all about and then perhaps
getting involved in a particular effort after some time, after
having attended a few meetings, and most of all after having made
friends and even discovered who to avoid! :-)

All the same, my experience from both mentoring and newcomers'
meet-and-greet is that most people first come because of a specific
topic, which often (but not always) corresponds to a single WG.
Presumably Jay could update one of his surveys to ask newcomers about
that.

That matches the known fact that only a small fraction of participants
are on even the ietf-announce list (and even fewer on this list).
Somebody could also do a cluster analysis of WG list subscribers -
with about 120 WGs, how many separate populations do we have?

yes, please, some data, as opposed to opinons, feelings and such like.

Who can do it?IAD?

Tom Petch

If newcomers risk being "snarled at" it is only due to our own
culture and abusive behavior and not due to their lack of preparation.