Re: Quic: the elephant in the room

On Apr 11, 2021, at 7:56 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Only VERIFYING digital signatures provides security. And nobody knows what
> to do when DNSSEC validation fails so nobody really does it

This is false both in premise and conclusion.  I was tempted to ignore
the rest of the post, but ...

If nobody is ever going to check the sigs, they could simply be random bytes.

People are validating. See, e.g., https://stats.labs.apnic.net/dnssec

As you’re undoubtedly aware, validation failure results in a SERVFAIL response. In the case of an A or AAAA query, applications do not get an IP address back so it isn’t possible for users to "click through” to potentially compromised sites. Not an ideal error handling approach but arguably safer than alternatives.

Regards,
-drc