Re: Quic: the elephant in the room

On 4/11/21 7:56 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 12:36 AM Viktor Dukhovni <ietf-dane@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 12:20:28AM -0400, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> Only VERIFYING digital signatures provides security. And nobody knows what
> to do when DNSSEC validation fails so nobody really does it

This is false both in premise and conclusion.  I was tempted to ignore
the rest of the post, but ...

If nobody is ever going to check the sigs, they could simply be random bytes.

I had a PGP sig on some of my USENET posts for a while. Nobody ever checked
it and nobody ever noticed it was a static sig that never changed.

If Google implemented DANE in Chrome, that's who checks. It's really that simple.

To justify the deployment of a new infrastructure, I do have to show that
backporting is infeasible. I have paid particular attention to the reason for
the failure of DNSSEC and DANE precisely because I want to understand what
the criteria are for success.

My take is that the reason for lack of uptake is that they are viewed as essentially superfluous. The same thing happened to SCTP as it was painful to get kernel adoption and firing up multiple TCP streams was a good enough bandaid. Then Quic came around with the goal of greatly reducing the setup time and finally fixing HoL blocking, and also learning that external dependencies is a good route to /dev/null. Google and others are completely at liberty to finish the job with Quic by adopting DANE and finally get back to a 3 way handshake (on average or possibly always). And they don't need to ask your, my, or anybody else's opinion on the matter which is a Good Thing.

Mike