Re: IETF LLC & IETF Participation from USA-sanctioned countries

On 3/7/21 2:14 PM, Christian Huitema wrote:

No, we need to know, even if we won't like the answer, and even if we can't change the situation.    Far too much prejudice is perpetuated by those kinds of taboos.

This is not exactly an issue of prejudice. AFAIK, we do not have checks to verify that some new subscriber to an IETF working group is not accessing the server from a penalized country through a VPN, or any such workaround. We don't really want to set up any check like that, because they are intrusive and complicated, and also because they are beyond commonly held standards. Yet, if we conducted an in depth study of the issue, who knows whether some bureaucrat somewhere would force the IETF to enforce such checks, or force the LLC to spend a good chunk of money asserting our rights to not do that. It is probably much wiser to let sleeping dogs lie.

Any time someone says we shouldn't ask whether we're effectively discriminating against people in some way, that's a huge red flag.

Keith