Re: HTML for email

On 01/03/2021 14:22, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
Yes HTML is a disaster for email. But so is plaintext wrapped at 66
characters by the server because people didn't know better.

The reasons HTML is a disaster are

1) There is no standard for HTML in email.
2) HTML has been turned into a presentation format.
3) Email messages used annotations for a decade before HTML which doesn't
support them
4) The SMTP email infrastructure does not provide a viable means of knowing
what formats are accepted by a recipient so there is no way to fix this.

One painful side effect of 1 and 2 is that messages come with embedded font
size specifiers which is beyond stupid. The sender has no idea what device
I am reading something on. But Gmail will happily chose font size settings
that are frequently stupid. I have no control over that as a user.

Going back to the original, having ranted about my number one hate, the loss of privacy to anyone else on the list .....

The points you make are all good, and good reason why IETF mailing lists should silently discard text/html attachments.

But it gets worse. Quoting is another disaster area, in at least two regards. The service I am obliged to use (for at least some lists) increases the left and right margins for each successive level of quote so that after five or so quotes, the space available for message text is down to a single character, yes, just one single character, so that a message of 300 character is now presented as a column 300 separate lines, each with one character. Can the designer of a presentation format really be that stupid? Yes!

Another presentation format for quoting is to place coloured bars down the left hand side of the scree, a different colour for each level of quote and initially, there are gaps in the last coloured bar where new text has been added so that it is clear what is the response, what is original, in the post. But after five or so levels of quote, that left hand bar, yellow I think, becomes continuous so that it is impossible to see what is new, what is old, unless one gets the previous post from the trash and compares the two (or goes to the IETF archive and waits for it to catch up with the thread).

HTML has its uses, but e-mail is not one of them.

Tom Petch

Sent from a real MUA.

But the last point is the most important because the difficulty of fixing
the SMTP infrastructure has become greater than the difficulty of replacing
it with something fit for purpose.

Of course the world is not going to move to something new overnight. But I
do have a plan.

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 12:06 AM Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>