Re: HTML for email

On Mon, Mar 01, 2021 at 01:27:07PM -0500, Keith Moore wrote:
> In some sense, plain text works better for IETF's needs than HTML, and maybe
> plain text works better for the needs of anyone doing technical discussion
> over email.  There is some virtue in simplicity.    One of the virtues of
> plain text email is that there's not (much of) a layer of interpretation
> between the text in the message and what the recipient sees.   (Of course
> there is a layer - the character encoding scheme - but not much more than
> that.)

Plain text email in IETF participation works great for me.  Maybe that's
just because I use mutt and VIM.  Because it works great for me, I don't
want to give it up, and I look with suspicion on any proposals to
replace it.

I do like GitHub for some IETF work, but GitHub doesn't make it easy for
me to have a single interface to all the IETF repos I might want to
follow or contribute to, and that would be essential for GH to
supplement the email lists more.

I've seen large communities replace e-mail lists with web-based forum
type solutions, and I for one don't like any such that I've seen yet.

My 2c.