Re: document writing/editing tools used by IETF

>> > pandoc markdown used by Carsten's tool
>>
>> That would be a different tool.
>>
>> Kramdown-rfc is based on kramdown, one of the longstanding well-established markdown parsers.
>> (Its github history reaches back 12 years to 2008, and it already was an established project by then.
>> By the way, kramdown is a Patreon creator — if you like kramdown-rfc, you may want to consider becoming a patron to its parent project.)
>>
> With respect, we are both mistaken on this.

???

You Keep Using That Word “pandoc", I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means

> The plaintext escape on github is ''''
> The plaintext escape in pandoc is ~~~~

The pandoc markdown support took the tilde style from the then prevalent way of writing fenced code blocks, which was introduced as an alternative to indicating code blocks by simply indenting them at least 4 spaces in the original markdown spec [1].

[1]: https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#precode

Github flavored markdown introduced code blocks fenced with three (!) backticks (!); I don’t know why they saw a need to change the custom(*); maybe they couldn’t be motivated to keep holding the shift key for three key presses, or nobody at github took the effort to study the current custom.

Grüße, Carsten

(*) I’m saying “custom”, but really it was the “standard”, except that we are using this word in a different meaning.