Re: document writing/editing tools used by IETF

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 2:10 PM Carsten Bormann <cabo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2021-02-27, at 19:31, Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> pandoc markdown used by Carsten's tool

That would be a different tool.

Kramdown-rfc is based on kramdown, one of the longstanding well-established markdown parsers.
(Its github history reaches back 12 years to 2008, and it already was an established project by then.
By the way, kramdown is a Patreon creator — if you like kramdown-rfc, you may want to consider becoming a patron to its parent project.)

With respect, we are both mistaken on this.

The plaintext escape on github is ''''
The plaintext escape in pandoc is ~~~~

And rather than aligning with github, what I seem to have actually done is to switch to align with your tool in the examples I generate. As I recall, my tool now accepts either. At this point the only difference in the tools is the approach to handling the initial input of metadata and some details about how references are handled.

I see the github/pandoc thing as a consequence of there not having been a specification written for markdown which has held things back.

(Pandoc would have taken the world already, but development requires ghc, the Glasgow Haskell compiler, which is a self-bootstrapping compiler that can be rather capricious to install.
A threshold that is worth crossing!)

My tool runs on Windows, macOS and Linux without any additional installations. Its just a single executable at this point.