Re: document writing/editing tools used by IETF

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 9:08 PM Larry Masinter <LMM@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Keith is talking about formats for submission. For collaboration, there's a generation of collaborative tools from Google Docs to Dropbox and Microsoft tools that are a lot better than GitHub for collaboration.

There only needs to be a single interface to the ID/RFC system.

My model is to allow the authors to edit the drafts in Word/Markdown and create HTML output close to what the ID/RFC system produces. When they have agreed on an update, they send the .xml file to the submission system.

So

Source: Word (for spell checked text), Markdown (for machine generated text)
Review: HTML (caveman TXT if people must).
Submit: XML2RFC

I regard XML2RFC to be a submission format and nothing more. At the moment, it is generated as a file format along with the HTML and TXT versions but I am thinking about moving to a separate submit command which would interface directly to the ID submission system. This would allow some housekeeping functions to be done more smoothly.