RE: document writing/editing tools used by IETF

Keith is talking about formats for submission. For collaboration, there's a generation of collaborative tools from Google Docs to Dropbox and Microsoft tools that are a lot better than GitHub for collaboration.

I'd suggest, though, starting with a conservative rule: any Internet Draft may be SUBMITTED in any of the RFC OUTPUT formats: XML2RFC, plain text, simple HTML, PDF. ("simple HTML" needs definition but it isn't hard).

You can use whatever collaborative tool you want, though you might have to do a conversion, but that's true for Markdown and GitHub use.    And every one of the collaborative document tools offer at least one of those formats.
--
https://LarryMasinter.net https://interlisp.org