Re: document writing/editing tools used by IETF

I think there are actually two issues related to authoring approaches that we do not currently handle very well.

First is probably not our problem as an organization. That is the one you allude to below. If there are multiple authors, they need a tooling approach that the authors collectivly can work with. Whether that is github, passing source around, having a single pen-holder, ... is up to the author team.

There is however a second problem. Namely the ability for the WG to take charge of the document when the author either can't or doesn't. I still remember how much work the new author had to do with the ForCES protocol spec to convert the document from a very messy (and error prone) word format to the XML that we could edit in tools that would work for us. (The previous author / editor had left her company and therefore was no longer supported to do the work.)

Yours,
Joel