RE: document writing/editing tools used by IETF

Better in the sense that they were explicitly designed and managed for the exact purpose of document publication and review, unlike GitHub, which was designed for managing code in some programming languages, and only poorly adapted for editing technical specifications.

You can do your own search but, for example,
https://getvoip.com/blog/2020/06/25/document-collaboration-tools/

certainly I don't propose IETF select one. My proposal is a restriction of yours: not to allow ANY format for an I-D but just to allow document submission in HTML or PDF (and not just plain text or XML2RFC).

The reasoning is to allow authors/editors to choose their own development tools, most of which can produce PDF or HTML but few can produce (legible) text/plain or XML2RFC.

Historical note: My co-author of RFC 1867 in 1995 was working on Xerox DocuShare, which needed form-based file upload for online document collaboration.

--
https://LarryMasinter.net https://interlisp.org