RE: NomCom 2020 Announcement of Selections

Hi Julien,
At 06:34 AM 28-01-2021, Maisonneuve, Julien (Nokia - FR/Paris-Saclay) wrote:
Generally agree with Fernando, but I would like to focus on a different take : there is a danger to focus on "diversity" for its own sake, and people tend to hang their particular view of diversity there (race, gender, country, religion, sexual orientation...). Picking the "right" type of diversity will always create some form of bias, there will always be unhappy people and it's not clear we can find a "satisfactory" (set of) axis.

The following is from the IETF web site: "IETF standards are built on the combined engineering judgement of participants, including individuals from academia and network operators, router vendors and open source projects". There are nomination committee appointments to entities where non-engineering expertise is sought, e.g. the IETF Administration LLC. If the appointments, viewed as a whole, are undiverse, the organization would not look international. I doubt that it would be possible to devise criteria which would be satisfactory to everyone. It is usually left to the members of the nomination committee to decide whether to consider that aspect in making their selections/appointments.

I took a quick look at the current composition of the LLC. A majority of its directors are from one region. Are there people with the relevant expertise from other regions interested in volunteering for that position? Why didn't they apply for the position?

The above is also applicable for Area Directors.

The previous diversity effort was focused on the male/female ratio. It is unlikely that the outsourced effort to increase regional diversity was successful given the nomination committee appointments. Diversity might be a difficult problem to address. It is better to give up on addressing the diversity issue(s) instead of seeing meaningless statements from the IESG about it.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy