Re: NomCom 2020 Announcement of Selections

On 28/1/21 11:34, Maisonneuve, Julien (Nokia - FR/Paris-Saclay) wrote:
Generally agree with Fernando, but I would like to focus on a different take : there is a danger to focus on "diversity" for its own sake, and people tend to hang their particular view of diversity there (race, gender, country, religion, sexual orientation...).

Indeed. That's why I've asked what, specifically, people mean when they
talk about "diversity".

[...]
If not which subset ? why ?). Again not
sure there is a "good" solution. I don't think this is productive. I
think we should focus instead on the goals we want to reach for IETF,
and try to understand first what the problem is today in terms of obstacles to produce relevant standards for the world (PS, anyone ?).
It should not be about people's communities or feelings, unless this
brings something specific and related to IETF goals to the table.

For the most part, my argument has been that if there's going to be an effort about diversity, then, given that the IETF is a global organization, the approach to the topic should also be from a global perspective. And if for some reason that's not an interesting project to pursue, it would be better to simply acknowledge that upfront, and move on.

FWIW, I would hope for some version of the former. But the later is probably still better than pretending that one is addressing a broad and complex issue, when that's not the case. (I also think that you only really address the problem when you tackle the underlying issues -- as opposed to simply focus on ticking boxes (like quotas)).

Just my two cents,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks