Re: Diversity of candidates was Re: NomCom 2020 Announcement of Selections

On 1/25/2021 5:08 PM, Salz, Rich wrote:
    Rich - when compared to the general set of IETF participants, the Nomcom
     selections mostly mirror the distribution within that set. When compared
     to the general set of adults (or for that matter, the general set of
     adults in the tech space) they don't, and that's been a complaint for at
     least the last 15 years or so.

Not having metrics, I am not so sure this is true.  I look at the systers list and group photos that are shown at every newcomer's presentation, for example.

    And one of the axes - from my POV - is small vs large organizations.
I completely agree.

One idea about addressing this is that we change the AD job to not be so full-time.  Or add more AD's.  Lots of choices here.  Terry Manderson's email, https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/S4xr9MR3usleQ8nCMTACnJ6UWkU/, is inspiring.

Hi Rich - I actually did the math a long while back (maybe 8 years?), and at one time the leadership was about 15% over-represented by women based on a rough population analysis of the apparent proportion of genders (by name) for both the attendee list and the list of WG chairs - e.g. my best guess at the IETF demographics.

Given that the general set of adults is about 1/2 female, and given that the set of female attendees appears to be about 10-20% of the IETF set of attendees, I would have actually thought the statement "Nomcom selections .... when compared to the general set of adults ... don't [mirror the distribution within that set]" would be self-evidently true.

Mike