Re: Diversity of candidates was Re: NomCom 2020 Announcement of Selections

Many of your ideas are good ones worth examining closer.

>    One of the main drivers of our "diversity" problem is the input set of
    people from which we draw our candidates - it lacks diversity on a
    number of axes.  We've noted this before - that GIGO  or rather
    Conformity In is Conformity Out.

I strongly disagree with this.  Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the better.

I looked at the 2020 and 2019 candidates, neither were homogeneous.  (I could not look earlier as the website just says "closed" and I couldn't think of an easy mail archive search query to find the list of names.)  There was diversity, even if it didn't really show up in the selections.