Re: Diversity of candidates was Re: NomCom 2020 Announcement of Selections

Hi Rich, Adrian,
At 11:14 AM 25-01-2021, Salz, Rich wrote:
I looked at the 2020 and 2019 candidates, neither were homogeneous. (I could not look earlier as the website just says "closed" and I couldn't think of an easy mail archive search query to find the list of names.) There was diversity, even if it didn't really show up in the selections.

Whether the "input" lists is diverse or not depends on one's view of what is described as the "community". There will likely be a change in future as Brian and Stephen moved forward some changes to "eligibility" which were shot down when I tried that many years ago.

The persons on the outside did not express their views on the topic. One of the expectations for an IESG member [1] is that he/she should "nurture new talent to fulfill IETF leadership roles in the future". I doubt that the expectation was fulfilled or else this thread would not exist.

Some of the selections were multi-term selections. One of the drawbacks of such selections is that it fosters a culture in which the decision-makers stick to policies even if those policies are working badly.