Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

At 9:29 AM -0500 02/27/2004, John Leslie wrote:
   While I am _very_ sympathetic to the need to limit the discussion,
I really don't see how anything useful can be accomplished if the
chair rules "principles of spam-abatement" to be irrelevant.

Perhaps this would be clearer: The BoF proposes that the IETF take on a particular engineering task, with a specific scope and an intended effect. It is within the purview of the BoF to discuss whether that is the right scope, whether the intended effect is a good idea, and so on. General discussion of the "principles of spam-abatement" , however, is out of scope (largely because such discussions tend to be non-terminating and will swamp the more focused engineering discussion). But the context of the "is this the right scope, and a good idea" no doubt includes the participants understandings of those principles. regards, Ted Hardie