Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

Dave Aronson <spamtrap.ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri February 27 2004 09:29, Tom Petch wrote:
>
>> If sending 1M messages got back a 1% response saying 'you failed'
>> with no clue as to which 1% failed, we might cut down on the spam.
>
> Maybe I just have too much blood in my caffeine stream,

   ;^)

> but I don't see the connection.  J. Random Spammer spews 1M spams,
> and receives back (assuming he used a valid sending address)

   Yes, let us assume the actual sender gets the "spam-refused" error.

> 10K "this looked like spam" DSNs, in addition to the usual load of
> angry replies, removal requests, "no such user", "no such domain",
> "over quota", etc., plus the occasional purchase.  What incentive do
> the 10K new DSNs give him, to mend his evil ways, or even just to
> scale back?

   No incentive to "mend his evil ways"; but a cost which may reduce
the total amount of spam. (Recall that many believe a one-cent-per-
spam cost would essentially eliminate the problem.)

> Indeed, it seems to me that if anything, it helps him see what does or
> does not work against spam filters, so he can tune his filter-evasion
> strategies.

   I claim that benefit is minimal -- spammers have other ways of
gathering the data to tune their filter-evasion.

   The benefit to the false-positive-sender, OTOH, is major. S/he knows
that the email never got through, and can use one of the many available
out-of-band methods to communicate the message. Iljitsch's point was
that the false-positive problem is much less serious if senders of
non-spam learn their email was discarded as spam.

   (I'd rather not speculate on whether the minimal benefit to the
spammer is greater or less than the admittedly-minimal cost.)

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>