Re: Principles of Spam-abatement

On Fri February 27 2004 09:29, Tom Petch wrote:

 > If sending 1M messages got back a 1% response
 > saying 'you failed' with no clue as to which 1% failed, we might cut
 > down on the spam.

Maybe I just have too much blood in my caffeine stream, but I don't see
the connection.  J. Random Spammer spews 1M spams, and receives back
(assuming he used a valid sending address) 10K "this looked like spam"
DSNs, in addition to the usual load of angry replies, removal requests,
"no such user", "no such domain", "over quota", etc., plus the
occasional purchase.  What incentive do the 10K new DSNs give him, to
mend his evil ways, or even just to scale back?  Indeed, it seems to me
that if anything, it helps him see what does or does not work against
spam filters, so he can tune his filter-evasion strategies.

--
Dave Aronson, Senior Software Engineer, Secure Software Inc.
Email me at: work (D0T) 2004 (@T) dja (D0T) mailme (D0T) org