Re: Self-moderation

On 2020-08-17, at 20:19, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Perhaps if the mailing list system returned messages above, say,
> the fifth in an hour on a given thread or the tenth on a given
> list in 24 hours

Unfortunately, the software cannot determine whether progress is being made (when I would get quite angry at mailing list software that is trying to slow things down) or whether people are bloviating.  If there were a simple way for a reader to report bloviation to the mailing list system, then it could perform better actions (“1799 readers appear to believe your last three messages did not contribute to progress, do you maybe want to slow down a bit?”…).
(And here we enter the whole area of proper CSCW vs. mailing lists…  I hope not.)

Grüße, Carsten