Re: Self-moderation

--On Monday, August 17, 2020 13:31 -0400 Warren Kumari
<warren@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 12:22 PM Spencer Dawkins at IETF
> <spencerdawkins.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> That tool did remind me (just not often enough) to edit my
>> replies so that I wasn't tagged with all the bytes in an
>> e-mail I was replying to (which, itself, could have been a
>> reply-to-reply-to-reply-to-reply ... with no editing).
>>
>> If it had reminded me to change subject lines when the
>> conversation drifted, it would have been perfect!

> .... or if it had told me "You've replied to 3 mails on this
> topic in <15 minutes. Perhaps this is a good time to get a cup
> of tea?". This shouldn't be a moderation thing, but rather
> something similar to Eudora's "chillis" signal for "you sounds
> grumpy"...

That would take a different tool than one which produces a
weekly summary.  It does suggest an idea -- especially in the
context of your comments about people leaving the list.
Perhaps if the mailing list system returned messages above, say,
the fifth in an hour on a given thread or the tenth on a given
list in 24 hours with a careful reminder and request for
confirmation before the message was distributed, that might
help.  No censorship, just a way to slow things down a bit and
slow the rate of temperature rise.   The mere fact of having a
message returned or held for confirmation would provide a small
cooling-off period.  If we could reach consensus (and borrowing
further from that Eudora idea) having such a tool detect
obnoxious terms or inflammatory rhetoric and hold them for
confirmation might be useful too.

    john