Re: Terminology discussion threads

On 8/14/2020 9:44 AM, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> Thanks Paul. Well, said.
>
> Despite the long history of the IETF discussion list being awful, I've
> felt an obligation to stay on it. However, it has now become so bad
> that I can longer do so.
>
> I would like to thank the IESG for creating the last call list so
> that it is still possible to participate in the business of the IETF
> without being part of this toxic environment. I'll see you there
> and in the WGs.

There is something systemic here. We see that behavior too many times. I
was at the receiving end of similar abuses during the RFC-ED discussions
last year and I feel the pain for Alissa, but there are many more
examples. The IETF list functions as some kind of general assembly, but
without any rules of order. The loudest voices dominate the stream and
skew the consensus, which encourages a loudest-voice behavior and
discourages consensus building.

The question is, what to do?

-- Christian Huitema