Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

> On 9 Aug 2020, at 22:56, Marc Petit-Huguenin <petithug@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 8/9/20 12:23 PM, Joe Touch wrote:
>>

>>> On Aug 9, 2020, at 10:54 AM, Nico Williams <nico@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Really, asserting that "master secret"
>>> is problematic is simply credibility-destroying.
>>
>> Besides your concern, how does one secret actively control another?
>
> You are insisting that the only possible meaning of "master" is to control some[one|thing] else.  According to New Oxford American Dictionary Third edition, that's true when used it as a noun, but not when used as an adjective or a verb.

It is not true for nouns either.

A master of science does not control science and a master of business administration doe not control business administration.

A school master (this is a British usage) is just a male teacher. He does not tend to control the school.

A chess master can beat me at chess, but he doesn’t control the game

And there are many more.