Re: Disappointing take-up of Gather.Town

> On 31 Jul 2020, at 12:00, Toerless Eckert <tte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 06:56:23PM -0500, Adam Roach wrote:
>> On 7/30/2020 1:58 PM, Toerless Eckert wrote:
>>> Maybe there is an algorithm to shift the IETF meeting times across the week
>>> such different days favor different TZ attendees as opposed to now where
>>> its always Europe happy, Ameria West Coast and China not happy.
>>

>> The current set up at least allows people to have some semblance of a
>> consistent "night", even if it is shifted from the schedule of people around
>> them -- basically, it's a single instance of jet lag. Changing the schedule
>> to be different each day would be like imposing five separate instances of
>> jet lag on everyone. I'm certain that would result in significantly less
>> productive meetings.
>
> Sure, we understand the goal. But i thought shift workers also don't
> necessarily have 24-hour periodic schedules and that may turn out to be
> better.
>
> Total maximum system performance may also not be desirable if it
> persistently penalizes one part of the communit group and favors another.
>
> How about we make the next IETF start at 8 AM china time ?

If the virtual meeting follows the proposed 109 physical location timezone
residents of China will be fine.

Been up at ridiculous o’clock for meeting too much lately.  Stopping at 02:00
for me is fine provided I can get to sleep in to 09:00.  The latter hasn’t
actually worked for me this week.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC