Re: USA dominion: Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

On 7/25/20 10:58 AM, Kyle Rose wrote:

The IETF does have an inclusion problem, but I suspect it has very little to do with problematic technical jargon and a lot more to do with the all-too-frequent bullying, mocking, and dismissal that seem to be standard operating procedure for a small but vocal minority of the community.

That statement could be credibly read in at least two ways:

1. the small but vocal minority of the community that claims the authority to bully people whom that small but vocal minority sees as being on the fringes

2. the small but vocal minority of the community that is on the fringes whom are seen as bullying others merely because they have different opinions (which they express even though they are different, and don't readily cave in to pressure from others)

Even in this particular discussion, which to me looks like it has been relatively respectful, there are signs that it really bothers some people that other people have different opinions, as if everyone should somehow agree with a vocal minority of people merely because that minority believes it has good intentions.

To me, part of what inclusion looks like is respectful tolerance of differing views even though some of those views make some people uncomfortable.   I want to suggest that people being immediately comfortable isn't an appropriate goal, because it always makes some people uncomfortable that there are multiple valid perspectives on a subject.  Instead, the community needs to cultivate a willingness to be uncomfortable when it is done in the service of accommodating different views and building rough consensus.

Keith