Re: Disappointing take-up of Gather.Town

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020, Nico Williams wrote:

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 10:45:27AM -0400, Kathleen Moriarty wrote:
I've just had other obligations, although the one time I was on it was
great.  It may be useful to have regular meetup times where people know to
go and chat throughout the year.  Maybe weekly and targeted at time zone
convenient/changing times.

+1

That could work.

Also, maybe we need scheduled hallway meetups during other weeks as
well, because if one's TZ offset to the meeting's is large enough, it's
just too difficult to spare 10 hours a day to the meeting and hallway
meetings.

For me, I noticed that after my early morning start and having a few
meetings behind my laptop, I just need to have a break and leave my
house, catch some sun and a coffee. So that means I'm not available in
the "coffee time slots". I can't see myself doing 3h of meetings, 30
minutes of "still behind my laptop chatting with people", followed by
3h of meetings.

When I've attended physical meetings, the workday goes from 8AM or so
(breakfast, 9AM meetings) to around 11PM or midnight even (dinner,
"dinner BoFs", "bar BoFs", hallway meetings, catching up with $WORK,
etc.).  That's a 16 hour day considering that even just social events
(eg lunch) generally involve work in some fashion.  There's no way to do
10 of 16 hours on an 8 hour TZ phase difference.

Even without the timezone change, those hallways and lunch/coffee
meetings are still you taking a break from sitting in a chair behind
your laptop. And gather.town does not offer me that.

We might want to consider spreadign remote-only meetings over two weeks
instead of one.

Please don't :)
I can mark a week as "IETF week" and my collegues know I'm mostly
gone/busy, but extending that to two weeks would not work. It would
result in me not being able to drop most non-IETF work, and it would
be harder for me to be seen as "busy at IETF". So regular work would
interfere and expect precedence over my IETF meetings.

Paul