Re: IESG Statement On Oppressive or Exclusionary Language

On 28/7/20 14:30, Nico Williams wrote:
On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 01:55:50PM -0300, Fernando Gont wrote:
On 28/7/20 12:54, Nico Williams wrote:
[....]
(3) We are an international community with aspirations to be
even more so.   That may imply that a term or acronym that is
neutral or otherwise acceptable in English may be offensive,
oppressive, or exclusionary when translated or transliterated
into another language.  We should probably be aware of that too.

There are limits to how sensitive we can be to issues we're not aware
of.  I.e., we depend on reviewers to tell us about the issues they are
aware of.  Which brings us back to your point about banned word lists
not possibly being sufficient.

Part of the issue is, I guess, that much needs to be second-guessed, because
virtually all the communities that would find the aforementioned language to
be offensive are under-represented here (if at all represented).

Because we are such an international community, but also a very very
small and unrepresentative subset of the world's population, we're bound
to have under-represented communities.

That sounds a bit like naturalizing non-inclusiveness -- in many different aspects.

I disagree that we're necessarily bond to that.

[....]
Maybe if one were to try to address the underlying problem (inclusiveness),
any issues related to language would be solved as a side-effect?

We're a very specialized, *self-selected* group.  No one ever said to me
"hey, you'd bring diversity to the IETF, so your next assignment is to
participate there".  Nor is that a recipe for the further success of the
IETF.  Many of us are not sponsored in any way by employers.  When I was
at Sun my IETF participation was never a principal aspect of my job, and
I participated entirely of my own initiative.  Ditto my employer
previous to Sun.  Ditto all my employment since.  I believe this is true
for most IETF participants.

Are you suggesting that participants from, say, the top-10 or top-20 affiliations are self-funded?

 [....]
Perhaps you mean that we have barriers to entrance that produce an
exclusive club.

That's, sort of, what I meant. BUt not just "entrance".

However, of all the SDOs, the IETF is by far the most
accessible by any and all measures:

Fully agree on this one.

ease of access (mailing lists,
meetecho, etc.), cost ($0 for mailing list participation, which is the
only participation that is required to get RFCs published, i.e., work
done),

This one is very debatable. Yes, "on paper", you only need maling-list participation.

discrimination (our rules for selecting a NomCom and I*
leadership are explicitly non-discriminatory using any plausible
protected classes).

Well, the rules are that you need to have attended X recent meetings, which in turn requires funding of some sort.

All other SDOs are far far more costly and less
accessible at the very least: ISO and member nation SDOs, the ITU-T, the
UC, IEEE, OASIS, etc -- all expensive membership organizations and
inaccessible to non-members.

Fully agree on this one.

We've yet to hear a plausible proposal for increasing diversity at the
IETF.  In the meantime we have to operate with who we are.  Decrying our
lack of diversity will not help us.  Instead, we need (and have!)
mechanisms for identifying use of offensive language and correcting it
prior to publication

As noted, I do support this effort. That said, the sad state of affairs is that, from a practical point of view, in most cases the potentially offensive words will not get to the folks that would most likely be offended by their usage.

That's the underlying issue that I think is being overlooked, or not considered to be an issue.

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks