Re: Challenge: was Re: Updated Nomcom 2020-2021: Result of random selection process

On 7/10/20 7:46 PM, Toerless Eckert wrote:
> Of course i haven't really thought about what i would think about the
> improbable stochastically impossible evil conspiracy theory that was
> invented in this thread,

I really wish you'd stop diminishing this issue and in particular
would stop mocking it.  It seems unlikely to me that it's changed
anybody's mind, particularly of those of us who've been around long
enough to see companies actually attempt to stuff nomcom.  However,
even if it's not a deliberate attempt bias can creep in because of some
companies supporting employee participation in nomcom while others
do not (not to mention people who participate on their own).

It's not evil in any particular sense, it's self-interested.  But,
it's also a source of bias and it's reasonable to try to eliminate
bias in the selection process.  If you perceive other sources of
bias definitely feel free to put together a proposal to deal with
them.

At any rate, you've made the same argument repeatedly and I
think you're entering the realm of diminishing returns.

Thanks,

Melinda

--
Melinda Shore