Re: List of volunteers for the 2020-2021 NomCom

On 6/29/2020 11:01 PM, Toerless Eckert wrote:
On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 08:57:17PM -0400, Joel Halpern wrote:
Toerless, you do understand that not only was the affiliation rule arrived
at by rough consensus, but as I recall it was added during the process at
the request of the community?

Of course.

If you really think it is wrong, write a clear proposal of what you think a
better rule looks like.  And then try to get some indication the the
community agrees with you.
I did say what i wanted to say. Including that it is way too early in what i
think is the predominant thinking in the community to move this argument further.
I am disappointed by this, but i do not need to run any further against windmills
that showing that there is at last no 100% agreement with the rules.

But please do not suggest that the current nomcom chair should apply some
other rules.
I did not do this in my emails so far, and i do not intend to do this.
I have some question about what constitutes a subsidiary wrt. to specific
candidate Nomcom members, but i sent that specifically to the nomcom chair.

Cheers
     Toerless

To put some real numbers behind this I grabbed the list, and did some consolidation and sorting.  There were basically only a few companies where I ended up merging things:  Anything with "Huawei" in the name was Huawei.  (Huawei, Huawei Technologies, Huawei Tech Dusseldorf, Beijing Huawei, Ditto for Google (Chrome, Jigsaw). The remainder of the list were slight variants (Cisco vs Cisco Systems, etc) and easy to merge.  I wasn't sure of whether Futurewei should be grouped with Huawei, so I did the calculations both ways.

Taking only the groups with 3 or more volunteers you get:

Cisco - 13 - 8.1% of the pool - 24.2% chance of having 1, 65.6% of 2
Ericsson - 6 -   3.8% of the pool 37.5/26.9
Futurewei - 10 - 6.3% of pool 31.5/51.5
Google - 4  2.5% 34.9/14.6
Huawei - 28 17.5%  3.2/95.9
Juniper - 10  6.3% 31.5/51.5
Mozilla - 3 1.9%, 30.9, 9.1
Nokia - 3  1.9%  30.9/9.1
ZTE - 6 - 3.8% 37.5/26.9

(Huawei + Future Wei ) 23.8% .6/95.6

Using the current model, Huawei with 17.5% of the pool has only a (100 - 95.9 - 3.2)  .6% chance of having no volunteers selected, a 3.2% chance of having 1, and a 95.9% chance of having 2.   If Futurewei and Huawei are counted as separate companies, together they have about a 50% chance of having 4 members between them (estimate rather than doing the calculations).

Cisco and Juniper each have more than a 50/50 chance of having two members and a >80% chance of having at least one each.

The above numbers were calculated using the BINOMDIST function in Excel.

Mike