RE: [Ietf108planning] Registration open for IETF 108

Hi Adrian,
At 02:20 AM 11-06-2020, Adrian Farrel wrote:
If it turns out that 100 waivers are enough, then surely 300 would also be enough.

But I am also confused as to why we call this "a waiver"?. It looks, from the various statements, that the waiver scheme is sponsored by Google and Futurewei. I for one am very grateful to these companies for their generosity and support of making the IETF more accessible and open. However, what appears to be described is a bursary scheme not a waiver scheme. That is, all attendance still has a cost: the question is simply who is covering that cost.

I would like to thank Google and Futurewei for generosity in helping to remove barriers to participation.

I read the announcement which was sent on 28 May once again. The scheme is not a waiver scheme; it is similar to a bursary scheme where the allocation is based on a random selection mechanism. That is incongruent with the purpose; i.e. the development and publication of Internet standards, specifications and related documents on a charitable, non-profit basis.

And maybe this is the point. If this was truly a waiver scheme then the cost of increasing the number of users of the scheme would be zero (additional people attending who would not otherwise attend does not cost AFAICS). It is only if the scheme is a bursary that it needs to be limited to the size of the bursary (presumably capped at $23k) and some way has to be found to choose between a greater number of applicants.

Am I right?
There is a fee for everyone to attend
The attendance fees for up to 100 people will be kindly met by sponsors
There is no scope for waiving the attendance fees
There is no scope for seeking additional sponsors

Many thanks for continuing to work through these details against a tight timeline.

Did you receive answers to the above questions?

Regards,
S. Moonesamy