Re: Change in IPR policies

Adrian

On 10/06/2020, at 8:50 AM, Adrian Farrel <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(2) There is a very specific and, as far as I know, completely
new, prohibition against distribution or broadcasting of any
meeting-related discussion or events.  That seems like a giant
step away from the IETF's tradition of openness and free
availability of materials.

I need to check, but I think the intent there was to restrict
livestreaming and nothing else as the combination of live
streaming + open jabber rooms would effectively allow
participation without registration.  Once I’ve reviewed I
will get that corrected.

Two points:
- The check box says "without IETF’s prior written consent"
 so perhaps the IETF would care to grant that wholesale
 and now.

As I said, I will get that corrected.

- Does this mean that audio streaming will no longer happen?
  If so, I really (really, really) hope that Webex is going to let me
  join multiple simultaneous meetings so that I can easily skip in
  and out of the audio when I have an agenda clash. (I do also
  wonder, in this case, how we support people with platforms
  that can't run Webex in any of its forms.)

Audio streaming is not supported for the same reason that audio streaming + open jabber rooms effectively allows participation without registration.

The platform for IETF 108 will be Meetecho not WebEx - do you have the same concerns with that or are your concerns more generally about people participating from places where the cost of bandwidth is an issue for video?

Jay

Best,
Adrian

--