Re: Consultation on *revised* IETF LLC Draft Strategic Plan 2020

Well, I think this is responsive to part of my comment, namely that we should discuss common user tasks.

However, I don't think it's responsive to the other part -- which I also take to be Stephen's point -- that we should remove the participant journey text. I have reviewed your proposed change and while I think it's slightly clearer, I simply don't agree that this is really something that should be part of the LLC's strategy. It seems to me that one could think of this in two ways:

- Defining/designing the participant journey. This is typically how this shows up in discussions of the user journey in the UX context. This might or might not be a good idea but seems pretty far from the LLC's remit and much more like the IESG's (if anyone).

- Documenting some typical IETF career paths. I'm not sure how valuable this is as a general matter. The surrounding text suggests that you think of this primarily as a sales tool for potential funders. To the extent to which this is true, I don't think that needs to be called out specially in the strategy; the strategic objective is "recruit funders" and this is just tactics.

In either case, I think this text should be removed.

-Ekr

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 2:54 PM Jay Daley <jay@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4/06/2020, at 10:08 AM, Eric Rescorla <ekr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> As I said, I do think it's important to have clear maps for how the individual tasks that people want to do work and where they go wrong, which is sort of a small scale version of this.

Added issue

        https://github.com/ietf-llc/strategy-2020-consultation/issues/44 "No mention of need to better understand user flows in order to inform the works of the Tools team and TAS"

and addressed it by adding a new transformation and some accompanying text

        https://github.com/ietf-llc/strategy-2020-consultation/commit/b9841bb6b4c72515fb24c556ff6a49767cc5d1e5#diff-ace2c9f1dd155e5220c2a50de0c79018

Jay

--
Jay Daley