Re: spam

on 5/27/2003 12:28 PM Zefram wrote:

> Whether the receiving-end filtering approach is viable in the long
> term is debateable.  When 99.9% of email is spam, the filtering world
> will look very different.  Perhaps at that point it'll be infeasible to
> continue allowing unsolicited email at all.

Some of us are already at that point and are wanting to have the debate
right now.

Every system can be fooled (corrollary: every fool has a system). This
includes pre-emptive measures like laws, pre-transfer black/whitelists,
and post-transfer filtering techniques. What laws provide over the other
mechanisms is a discouragement hammer. The other mechanisms are purely
defensive, and as I said earlier, only have value if you redefine some
measure of defeat as victory.