Re: Mul-TFRC (draft-welzl-multfrc-00)

Hi Wesley,

I like the sound of that request for information proposal.  I think the
bar for "safety" of a DCCP experimental CC draft is a lot lower than it
is for TCP.  Mostly I think that we'd just want to know that there are
people who would seriously review the draft before we make it a WG
draft.

Tom P.

Of

http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/group/iesg/trac/browser/ions/approved/ion-tsv
-
> alt-cc.txt
>
> Previously, this course of action (using ICCRG to vet "safety" of
> a proposed Experimental document before progressing in IETF) was
> used with Compound TCP, CUBIC, and H-TCP.  It has been much slower
> of a process than expected, and though some positive results and
> interactions have come about, it hasn't been an effective way to get
> Experimental documents published by IETF WGs yet.
>
> Based on that experience, I'd probably do things slightly differently
> in the future ... leaving dates open-ended is definitely one thing to
> avoid.  Bounding the dates gives "making progess" priority over having
> a length evaluation, but after discussions in the ICCRG, I think a lot
> of people seem to be comfortable with that.
>
> If something like this is to be done with MulTFRC for DCCP, I would
> suggest that  something like a "request for information" be sent from
> coordinated DCCP and ICCRG chairs to the ICCRG with bounded timeframe
> (like 2 months) for comments to come in.  At the end of that
timeframe,
> someone from ICCRG could post a summary write-up to DCCP.
>
> Just a suggestion ... as an ICCRG co-chair, I'd be willing to help
with
> this.  We'd have to check with the other ICCRG co-chair too :).

> Wes Eddy
> Network & Systems Architect
> Verizon FNS / NASA GRC
> Office: (216) 433-6682

DCCP
> >> carry the burden of the rest of what makes a transport protocol.
This