Re: [patch] add INPUT key reporting to thinkpad_acpi

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 14:03 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Mon, 21 May 2007, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 10:05 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > > There is no way around that.  It is how these things work.  You are actually
> > > requesting to the firmware that "OSI will handle these hotkeys".
> >
> > On all models? When I enable my hkeys on my X60, the hardware still does
> > the actions.
>
> Argh.  Even for keys that are masked out?

Yup.

> > > And I suspect we are missing part of the interface on the X60 new BIOS, too.
> > > Is a X60 onwer up to some DSDT debugging ?
> >
> > I have an X60, although the bios is 2.03 iirc.
>
> I'd appreciate a report on how it works in a X60 with the latest BIOS
> (2.10).  Anyone?

I'll update this afternoon and send you the latest DSDT.

> > > It is a binary attribute, that looks like a little-endian file composed of
> > > u16 values.  Read from it to get the current hotkey->keycode map, write to
> > > it to change the mapping.  There are 16 keycodes right now, but if we find
> > > out the hotkey interface in ACPI can be extended, it will grow.
> > >
> > > KEY_RESERVED disables the issuing of input events for that key.  Anything
> > > else (valid) enables it, including KEY_UNKNOWN.
> > >
> > > Would HAL need to mess with these?  If it does, it means I need to add a
> > > lock attribute that disables changes to it (which HAL is *not* allowed to
> > > touch) so as to allow the admin to preserve his setup.
> >
> > Well, at the moment the input stuff is al up in the air, and so we can
> > do this anyway that works. My preference is as much stuff in the kernel,
> > and then do the fancy stuff in HAL.
>
> Do you intend to do any sort of "this is a thinkpad model foo, let's program
> thinkpad-acpi to use keycode map bar" in HAL?  If so, I need the lock.

I don't think so. Maybe not HAL, probably a keymap was my first choice.

> > > There is a bit of a problem.  The ACPI hotkey events are complete, and can
> > > handle *anything* the firmware produces as long as there is code in
> > > thinkpad-acpi to intercept the events.
> >
> > Sure, but currently usersapce is unaware of the ibm acpi events, unless
> > HAL proxies them using DBUS. This is obviously non-ideal.
>
> No, _userspace_ is quite well aware of them. acpid gets them just fine.

Sure, but what does IBM 0x000 0x005 mean to a random program like
NetworkManager? If this is the bluetooth disable key, then this should
be nicely abstracted IMO, not discovered by every application author
listening to acpid.

> > > Is there an event we can send through the input layer capable of carrying a
> > > 16-bit value ?  Otherwise, I can remove the ACPI events, but I'd have to add
> > > generic uevents to replace them.
> >
> > What sort of value? If it's not a keypress then a uevent seems most sane
> > IMO.
>
> It is a key press, sort of.  But one that is not mapped, or which is new.
> Borislav mentions lid switches

Already covered in the acpi-core button events.

>  and buttons on docks also creating hotkey
> events, but I have *never* seen those, and nobody documented any in
> thinkwiki either.

Sure, we can map those to the proper buttons.

Richard.