Re: usb coldplug problem

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 11:13:32AM +0000, Bernd Porr wrote:
> I totally take Greg's point that the firmware load should be via a firmware
> request from the driver which then in turn triggers the firmware helper in
> userspace. When I checked that last time (about a year ago) this was too
> buggy and I stuck with the comedi firmware upload which has been running
> for about 4 years without probs. Might be a good time to use the firmware
> helper.

Yes, the comedi firmware upload will be changing sometime in the future
to use the proper interfaces.

> But in comedi it is so that the command "comedi_config" associates a driver
> with a device. This works fine with hotplug. I plug in my usbdux, this
> triggers a udev event and then a udev rule can decide which /dev/comedi? is
> actaully taking care of the box. If you want to question that mechanism
> then comedi itself has to be rewritten. And I'm sure that nobody here in
> comedi-land would like to do that. It just works too good.

I'm going to be questioning that when we get to looking closer at the
comedi/userspace interface to make sure it is sane and matches the rest
of the kernel.  But that's not going to happen until I get all of the
comedi drivers merged into the staging tree so that we can clean
everything up properly.

thanks,

greg k-h