Re: usb coldplug problem

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 03:21:56PM +0000, Bernd Porr wrote:
> Hi!
>
> It's not that easy. The actual udev event triggers comedi_config which does
> _also_ the firmware upload on the side. Even if I upload the firmware via
> sysfs I still need to run comedi_config to set up the comedi device.

Then do it like other USB devices do it:
	- usb probe function calls request firmware
	- after request firmware succeeds, then initialize the comedi
	  interface

That way the driver will work like all other Linux USB devices do :)

> Therefore it's simpler to do it via comedi_config as this supports firmware
> upload anyway and people can also do it manually if udev is not supported,
> for example on embedded systems.

udev is supported everywhere.  It's in my daughter's cell phone (the
number 1 selling phone in the USA this year) and if udev isn't there,
than the "generic" way of having hotplug handle firmware events is still
going to work properly for you.

thanks,

greg k-h