Re: usb coldplug problem

I totally take Greg's point that the firmware load should be via a firmware request from the driver which then in turn triggers the firmware helper in userspace. When I checked that last time (about a year ago) this was too buggy and I stuck with the comedi firmware upload which has been running for about 4 years without probs. Might be a good time to use the firmware helper.

But in comedi it is so that the command "comedi_config" associates a driver with a device. This works fine with hotplug. I plug in my usbdux, this triggers a udev event and then a udev rule can decide which /dev/comedi? is actaully taking care of the box. If you want to question that mechanism then comedi itself has to be rewritten. And I'm sure that nobody here in comedi-land would like to do that. It just works too good.

> Why cannot be the /proc interface be used.
Can you explain that a bit more.

Thanks!

/Bernd

Sujit Karataparambil wrote:
We need to call the rule in the kernel context as 'greg' was saying.

Seems to be the correct way to be the firmware upload via USB.